Fertilizing Tree lines?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by oOTurfmanoO, Jul 2, 2006.

1. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

By tree line, I am refering to the common 1 foot strip of turf between a sidewalk and road.

What is the best way to make an application to these sites?

A drop spreader may be an option, but, as we all know, these spreader are usually wider than 12"

2. oOTurfmanoO

Either knowone knows or knowone does it!

Come on boys!!!!!!!

3. just4me

just4me LawnSite Member
    from NH

just ask your Grandma for her sifter or go to Wally world to get a flour sifter and shake it out, its adequate & effecient for the job this as well is good for the graass seedings of small walk ways you do not want to get seeds into planting beds.

4. Tim Johnson

Tim Johnson LawnSite Member

buy a spreader with a deflector shield, works great. Lesco makes a nice one. Just walk on the edge of the walkways, and let it fly.

5. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I call it curbstrip, but to each his own. How about going to Home Depot and getting a Scotts Speedy Green II, aka a Whirlybird. Easy enough to use and less fert I have to blow off the sidewalks. Great for hills and hard to reach areas as well.

6. oOTurfmanoO

Like the feedback guys!

My Lesco roatry has the deflector shield and I also have a whirly bird.
    So far I have always used the deflector shield and will probably contiune to do so.

I use the whirly bird for apps in mulch beds. it works great!

7. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Ever try spraying fertilizer from a backpack? You should be able to come up with a suitable, non-burning product and 4 gallons can go along way at 1-1.5 gal./1000 sq. ft.
    Neal

8. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

liquid is the best way to do it.

9. oOTurfmanoO

Never tried it but I would. I have/use a Lesco 4 gallon bp sprayer that I spot treat with.

What tpye of liquid do you have in mind?

10. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have a Solo chest spreader that would work well. you can adjust the flow for left, right or center. holds about 10 lbs. got it at lesco for about $80