1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizing when dry conditions?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jpp, Jun 26, 2007.

1. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

First I don't do applications at all. Putting Fertilizer down with no rain, does it not do it more harm than good. Even if they are not watering with an irrigation system does it do more harm than good.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Excess N could cause disease problems,but if you were going to fert during dry weather conditions use a high slow release with moderate Nitrogen
  3. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Double edged sword. A nice lawn that is burnt....not a good idea.say u get just a little rain n melts in..then drys.....dry lawn gets even more burnt. Crappy lawn that is burnt...likely dormant above the crown..wont burn....having the N in place before rainfall is the easiest way to bring it back
  4. what fert are you putting down?

What % slow release?

How much n/m?
    What is the source of slow release n?
  5. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

We use 39-0-0 (100% scu) as our standard R-3 application because it won't burn,will respond to rain if it happens or will lay their until fall.

Gives turf N for disease recovery.
    Greens up our lawn ahead of other company's in fall.
    Eliminates feast and famine look of lawn.
    Puts lawn tech. on site for spot weed control and disease intervention.

Spreads out work load and improves summer cash flow.
  6. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

If you use the right kind of fert, it can help. 75% to 100% slow release N, sulfate of potash. The biggest issue I see would be walking on or running equipment over "crunchy" grass.
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

As the other guys said, use a good fert, and you're fine. The only thing to avoid putting on a dry lawn on a hot day would be any sort of herbicide. That could cook, but a good granular fert, you should be just fine. DOne it many, many times with no problems.
  8. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I am not putting any fert down. I just see companies out spreading fert and was wanting to gain some knowledge as to what they are putting down during drought conditions. To me it is just mind boggling to be putting anything down right now. But that is whay I do not do applications. Cause I don't know the specifics. I am going to get some books this winter though and take a closer look.

Thanks for the replies,

9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Could be something w/ iron to help green everything up.
  10. Not only will it green it up, will help with stress alone with some sop