Fertilizing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Mar 25, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Do many of u guys have fertilizing in your services? It seems like an easy way to make some extra cash. Any recommendations on brand for most grasses here in central IN? I've heard that Scotts turf builder is about the best.

Also, if anyone has any tried and true advice about appliying this I would much appreciate it!

I know it's Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium and it's mainly Nitrogen most of the time. I just want to make sure and do these folks right as I've heard that some guys burn the yard up. When is the best time to do it?

I've read in this book that it said to like "wash" it in or "water" it in after u distribute it. What does this mean? It wasn't too detailed about everything!

2. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

You are going to get alot of negative responses about this. There is nothing wrong with what you want to do, but make sure you know what you are doing before you go putting chemicals on peoples lawns.

Contact your local agricultural department, and enroll in the pesticide certification class for your state, and get an applicators license. This is a Federal Law, you MUST have this.

After that, go to your local Lesco dealer, and talk to someone knowledgable. Let them know that you have never done this before, and they will give you solid advice that pertains to your specific area.

There is nothing wrong with being new, we all have to start somewhere, but make sure you know what you are doing before you try to sell fertilizing services. There is alot that can go wrong, and the lawsuit potential is higher with fert and squirt than with regular mowing

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, it's one of the WORST.

LushGreenLawn gave you some good advice to start with.

4. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh boy, here we go again!:cool2: