Fertilizing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnoasis, Jan 11, 2000.

1. lawnoasis

lawnoasis LawnSite Member
    from Omaha

Let's say your cost for a 12K sqft bag of pre-em is $17, you use 2 bags on one account, and it takes 1 person 45mins. How much would you charge? & Why?....meaning break down your mark up and labor. Thanks. I'm at $55 & $40.....

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

On our price list a 24,000 square foot site per treatment is $83.00. This is the same for all five treatments. I wouldn't ever itemize one site for any reason. Obviously the first application includes more material cost. And the 45 minute labor time better include 25 minutes of travel time.

3. lawnoasis

lawnoasis LawnSite Member
    from Omaha

Just for the sake of discussion how would you break it down? I would never itemize either....Thanks

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I really have no idea. <br>When I said we never do, I meant including bookeeping as well. Landscaping and Parking lot salting our computer tracks the labor/equipment/materials used. (We don't bill it that way, it's just for our own info.) But fertilization, we never have it that way. <p>For sake of discussion, I might guess $46.00 for materials and $37.00 for labor. (bear in mind, a typical 24m site takes us considerably less than 45min app. time, I think we've got it figured at around 1 minute per 1,000 sq. ft. app. time)<br>

5. Kenr427

Kenr427 LawnSite Member

17 a bag?, I'd shop around, you may be able to find it cheaper, or get with a few people in the area and do a bulk purchase to get a better discount. Lesco also offers contract pricing based on your useage expectations. 14 would be a more realistic fiqure. <p>at 17.00 a bag it cost you 1.36 per 1000 square feet, meaning it would cost you 32.64 in product, not counting any over spread, like in the street or beds, I always add 5 to 10% to account for that. But keep in mind when pricing, use your most expensive treatment for calculating material costs if you are charging the same for each app. I try to use 3.00 per 1000 Sq.Ft. plus a 25.00 stop charge, which would put you around 97.00 for 24K of turf, this still leaves you a little leeway for free service calls if needed.<p>Good Luck!