1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Collegiate, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Collegiate

Collegiate LawnSite Member

I am going to start offering fertilzation to my accounts and i wanted to find out some general information.
    - What is the most wide spread fertilizer used? Like Scott's or something.. does it matter?
    -Where do you purchase most of your fertilizer? Do you get it in bulk? Pricing?

I am trying to keep it simple for application. Are granules or liquid this easiest to apply? What give you the best results?

I was thinking about putting a package ( aeration, seeding, fertilzing) together. What price would you put on a package like this for an account?

All help is greatly appreciated!!

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Hi Ben - most of your questions have been answered in great detail in other threads. Do a search and see if the answers are there. If you have additional questions, fire away, we'll help you out.
  3. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

best prices anywhere you look will be at your local mill store. i purchase my fertilizer by the ton. 20-10-10 $5.36 / 50# bag
    5-10-10 $4.55 / 50# bag

then, lesco charges 19-3-7 pre -m $15.65 / 50# bag
  4. tennissippi

tennissippi LawnSite Member
    from zone 7b

Hey Ben. These are some good questions. The best thing to do would be to find out what your competetors are charging in your area. If you can charge a slightly lower price and still make a profit, then go for it.

There are so many types of fertilizers and fert. companies out there. So that ? is hard to answer. I have mine custom blended from a local fert/farm supply company (purchased by the ton). These products are mostly ag-grade and inexpensive. Some are slow release others are not..just depends on the soil analysis.

I charge $10 per K for aeration, seeding...can't answer b/c I don't really do that, and $3.00 per K to fertilize.

Well good luck and I hope you do good with the aeration/seeding/fertilizing.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

if u have a lesco in the area go to it they will help once u know what u are doing u can find a cheaper supplyer
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Good advice!