Fertilzer/Weed Killer Application???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HighGrass, Sep 27, 2003.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I am trying to advise my customers as to a program for the upcoming 2004 year for fertilizing etc. What is a good 2,3,4, or whatever step program from start to finish (spring to fall) for existing lawns that have a few weeds.

2. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Without going into great detail, try to figure out what you want to accomplish before putting together a program. Will it be:

a premium top of the line program with everything included and and drawing top dollar?

a basic program which controls weeds with a few fertilizer rounds?

When you figure out what level you want to reach, then sell it accordingly. Don't sell a Cadillac and offer a Yugo.

Basic treatments usually follow something like this:

1 Fertilizer with preemergent herbicide for crabgrass and other grassy weeds.

2. Fertilizer with broadleaf fertlizers

3. Slow release fertilizer hot summer conditions.

4 . Fall fertilizer with broadleaf applied again.

Other optional treatments.

Preventive grubworm control treatment. Late spring/summer

Surface feeding insect control

preventive and curative disease control

nutsedge control.

winterizer fertilizers

soil conditioners

aeration and overseeding

email me if you want details!
  3. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

What months would you do your 1 - 4 steps and also what chemiclas would your use? Liquid, granulsr, powder? What reading materials do you suggest also. I just passed my Core and catagory 03 pesticide tests and am planning on offering weed and pest control nest year to my customers. Thanks for the help.
  4. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Granulars are usually easier for a startup company. Liquid weed controls, fungicides and insect controls usually are cheaper.
    Liquid weed controls are usually better.

Timing: Follow the holidays for your area. Easter , Memorial day
    July 4th( if you do a mid summer treatment) , Labor Day and Thanksgiving. This gives you pretty good timing and spacing between applications.

There are many websites with free information. In addition,
    call your extension service for reading which pertains to your regional environment.

Common sense and an awareness that every year offers different
    conditions will help you become successfull. Lean on the ones around you that you can trust for information. Go to seminars in the winter when you can.

Good luck!