Fescue and poa anna in Centipede lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by stumpman, Mar 20, 2007.

1. stumpman

stumpman LawnSite Member

I had someone to call the other day with a Centipede lawn that had fescue,poa anna, and chickweed in it. It also had some other broad-leaf weeds in it. I can spray Speedzone Southern for the broad-leafs but what do you recommend for the grasses. Also, when do I spray the centipede, now or after the centipede greens up. I deal mostly with Turf-Type fescues. I will be spraying with a PG and I am licensed.

2. ccash

ccash Banned

hey man down here i spray atrazine to take out the poa in centipede, but at this point i would hold off untill after transition to prevent turf decline.

3. ccash

ccash Banned

after green up some vantage will work.

4. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

Certainty is what I use after green-up. It is expensive though. Simazine before greenup is effective and cheap. They need to understand that without pre-emerge, they will just have more this time next year.

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

GTP: I''ve read about "Certainty" in the mags but never did much more. I know that Monsanto makes it, Who stocks it. Around here probably NOBODY but probably have to order it. We're not far from Atlanta--TN Place. Thanks

6. GTP

GTP LawnSite Member

Regal Chemical in Alpharetta

7. jamesgreen

jamesgreen LawnSite Member

I Have a lawn that is predominately centipede. It's May 14. How would you recommend controlling it now. I've thought about atrazine or vantage, I' also planning on aerating in about a week. any recommendations?

8. jamesgreen

jamesgreen LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any suggestion to control poa anna?