Fescue/bermuda in same lawn, how to fix?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LawnBrother, Mar 22, 2006.

1. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Hey guys, hoping you can help me out with this. I have a customer who needs a little work on her lawn. There are some patchy areas that need seeded, etc. The thing is, her lawn is weird, on one side of the walk leading to the front door it is all bermuda grass, while on the other side of the walk it is all fescue until it reaches the driveway, where there are some more bermuda patches mixed in. Is there a way to get the fescue to take over the bermuda without tearing it up and starting from scratch? Your thoughts on this are appreciated, thanks!
  2. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i killed out the bermuda an blended with fescue it worked very well . try it see ya george
  3. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Down here I would say different Kill the Fescue let the Bermuda Run
  4. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

well i dont want to start trouble but i dont think hes asking your opinion hes asking u how to do it. If I knew I would help you but i was reading this in hopes of getting an answer too.
  5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

You could RoundUp the bermuda, but I would start in August.

Spray it (at bermuda rate) mid month. Recheck and respray any green remains end of month. Reseed.
  6. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

there is ornamic which can suppress it but doesnt kill it. And its is so potent you have to mix it perfect. The only way is to round up it and reseed, but bermuda stolens run deep and far. its like the worst weed. unless the whole lawn is bermuda, and if its graded well you can cut it low as heck and it looks good but goes dormant in cold weather. Then you can overseed with perrenial rye. but its work dethatching bermuda every other year. What do the neighbors have? do you cut bermuda also with out cleaning your mower and then go there? If you cut fescue, I say round up it and spottreat in 10 days Water and wash as much or the risidual salts away then seed and cover.
  7. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

oh yeah do this when the bermuda is still active so you know you killed it all. but not if its too hot to seed. average temp 60f to 80f is recomended, seed needs constant moisture but not overwet for about a good month to start establishment even longer to get it adult fast then fertilize two months after sprouting. do 3 to 4 shorter water start times a day. I also usually lay seed a little heavier than recommended on container but not to dense then the sprouts get overcrowded and the leaves stay thinner, chokes it self competing and then dies and eventually thins itself out.
  8. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

To honestly answer your question......NO! If the bermuda is only small patches, then yes, but from what I gather, it is quite a lot. Bermuda will out survive fescue any day of the week! You are better off promoting the bermuda and kill off the fescue.

I've seen it done so many times, it makes me sick! Had a client when I was at Barefoot Grass years ago. He hated and despised bermuda!:cry: He pissed and moaned anytime one of his neighbors got it in their yard b/c he knew he would eventually get it. Anyways, he paid a company come and excavate a big area that had bermuda in it. They dug down 1 foot and backfilled with screened topsoil, and sodded over with fescue. Looked great for about 2 years. But guess what..... it came BACK!!!!!!:laugh:

Bermuda rhizomes can go down and out sometimes 2-3' or more. Chemicals only suppress it. And you have to be timely and aggressive with it!
  9. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I know it has been a while, but, thanks for the replies. I had given up on this thread after nobody replied for while, I figured it was dead. Anyway, I think I will take tscapes advice and promote the bermuda, because there is a lot of it. Thanks again!

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

I agree, i sprayed ornamec in my yard as a test run, it was like slow release round up baby, i must have sprayed two much, the fescue looks inches from death and has been pretty well dormant since i sprayed it the bermuda is dead as hell though... my next experiment will be attempting to kill zoisia in mondo grass, impossible to pull out... i sprayed it on junipers infested with bermuda and it worked great for that. best bet is 2-3 applications of roundup right before aerate and seed season