Fescue Blend Seed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hopper1124, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Hopper1124

Hopper1124 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Anyone have a great Fesue Blend Seed you recommend? I'm in the Cincinnati area, and I am always looking for a great seed to use, I'm doing a seeding job and wanted some suggestions.

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Lesco has a nice Fescue and Rye blend. Do you have a Lesco near by?
  3. Hopper1124

Hopper1124 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Yes we do , but I haven't been there in a while had a bad time with them and haven't been back since.
  4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Confederate Tall Fescue Blend.
  5. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

From Lesco you can get Transition Blend for 95 cents a pound, it's all fescue. I've seen it at Home Depot also, just a little more expensive. Another good fescue blend is Jaguar. Lesco also has Tuf Turf which is 90% fescue and 10% bluegrass, it is $1.05 per pound.
  6. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Use Southern Belle in this area. It's a little pricey but man is it perty.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Lesco Teammates. Tall Fescue mix.
  8. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Polecat where are you getting your southern bell from? Im trying Titan so far and it seems to do pretty well.
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Let's not forget some fescues perform better than others in certain areas.

That said, personally I use Turf Merchant products and Mayo Seeds as well. I like the Mellinium Tall Fescue (single variety) and Turf Gem (blend) from Turf Merchants. I also enjoy the deep green color and long lingering color of the Falcon II and III Tall Fescue from Mayo.

The next one I'll be trying is a blend from Lebenon called Winning Colors, which is a blend of some of the top rated Tall Fescues available today.

But as I said before, places are different. I suggest you check out the National Turfgrass Evalutaion Program web site. Then you can do a little research of your own about what does best in your area and maybe learn a little something new in the process. Look particularly at the species tested neaby where you are or in areas that share a typical climate and soil conditions with your area.

Happy hunting!
  10. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Hi Jusmowin, I got it from Lancaster Farms last year, but they are selling Tidewater's First this year. SO i'm looking for a new supplier. Until then I guess I'll but from Atlantic Garden. I'm calling Herod Seed this week and I'll post if they carry it.