Fescue didn't come up...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hartlawnmain, Apr 8, 2004.

1. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

I aerated a small yard about a month ago and then overseeded heavily with Rebels Exeda Turf type fescue along with lime and Scott's starter fertilizer. The customer has watered it religiously but only a few small spots have begun to come up. Most of the bare spots are still bare. What do y'all recommend? Go back with a stiff rake or tiller and break up ground? Should I put down some top soil? I'm dealing with mostly clay soil. Thanks for your help.

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

reseed it! did the birds eat it all? was it to cold where you are for it to germinate?
  3. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

What do you consider "heavily." If it had been me I would of sold them a soil sample first. It probably would of eliminated the problem you are currently having now.
  4. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

I forgot...They did pay $20.00 for a soil test which was all within normal parameters other than ph was a little high, hence the lime. I seeded it at almost 2 lbs/1000 sf.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The pH was high so you added lime? You should have applied sulphur instead. The lime only raised the pH even further.

Also just sowing seed on the ground does little even with an aeration. Usually the only seed that germinates is the seed that just so happened to fall in an aeration hole.

And 2 lbs per 1,000 isn't heavy. I usually get 5 to 7 lbs down with a Bluebird slit seeder.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly...bare minimum should have been at least 4. When I aerate and seed, I'm like Richard at 5 - 6 depending on the conditions.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

did you receive heavy rains? Washed away? Also I usually don't put down any fertilizer for a brand new seeding. I usually wait about a month or two later then fertilize it.
    I do know with experience that fescue can be picky sometimes with germinating
  8. Tman, you don't use a starter fert.?
  9. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Is there any possibility that you or someone else applied a "weed and feed" type fertilizer (something with pre-emergence weed control)? If so, then seed won't germinate.
  10. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

that is too little seed, even under perfect conditions,but let's play devils advocate ....

1. seed was wet watered but too cold for germination- some of it wasted due to rot after sitting moist but unable to start due to weather.

2. Aeration not done well or not done properly. no seed to soil contact.

3. Seed had been kept in storage over winter ( warehouse or not) and humidity ruined seed potential. Happens all the time if not sealed or any moisture in air is contacted for any length of time. In simpler terms "Old seed aint that good" unless it's in a very very dry place.

Reccomend going back , breaking up the soil (aeration) or topsoil so you have loose dirt for a proper seed bed then watering for 15 min daily for 14 days or until seed germinates. then every other day for 21 more days. Do again in september or october since falls the best time.