Fescue doesn't look as green

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 1999frontier, Jun 14, 2012.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Last week I watered twice 1/2" per watering and then we got right at about an 1" of rainfall between last week and this past Tuesday. I got a chance to cut it Tuesday after it quit raining and now that I cut it it doesn't look as green as it did before I cut it. Why is this? I'm cutting at 4"

2. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

There is nothing wrong with your fescue. It is summer in NC, when the soil temperature get's around 90* fescue goes dormant. You are mowing at the right height, keep that up, plan on skipping a mowing when it get's really warm. Your watering way too much. Too much water at this time of year is seriously detrimental. A 1/2 inch a week is the max that grass need's. Don't use any fertilizer, the grass won't use it when it's hot and it will cause excessive top growth which can lead to more problem's. Treat that fescue right in the heat and see the reward September through May.

3. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I haven't fertilized since March and I wont apply anymore until I overseeded again in September. I will cut back on the watering. I know that fescue starts looking bad in June but I didn't know that it would look so different after I mowed. Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device