Fescue in Dallas, TX

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by EagleLandscape, Nov 14, 2007.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Guys,
    I have a customer with a backyard that the Bradford Pear trees have shaded out the St. Augustine. My only option for turf in this area is Fescue I believe.

Question: Can I still seed right now?
    He also has a large lab 70-90lb that runs a muck in the backyard, which won't help the seed establishment.

Please advise.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Youd be good if you were here, still 80's. A little light mulch over the seed couldnt hurt for germination. Keep dog off if possible.

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

It was 80 today (unfortunately). Tomorrow is high of 66 with a low of 39 though. Looks like I should have done this last week.

This guys backyard is turning into a mudzone and I have to get it solved ASAP or I'm dead. This is my best customer, and I need to find a solution to his problem asap.

The dog is going to be my biggest problem in getting it to germinate I believe.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

If he doesnt realize that the dog is one reason his yard is likely torn up, then he needs a short education on turf and ground care. How about some orange construction fencing around the area, or to block off that half of the yard while it germinates? If hes not willing to pay to solve his problem, theres only so much you can do.

I have serious dog issues at a customers house and it is a constant battle to keep the turf marginal at best.