fescue in hawaii?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TClawn, Sep 20, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I was at the local wal-mart today getting some stuff for our dogs and as I was walking by the garden isle there was some penkoted tall fescue seed. is wal-mart ripping off some poor home owner that does not know any better?
    will fescue grow well in hawaii were our temps are 75-89 all year? I thought fescue was a cool season grass and has to have a dormant cycle? ;) ;)
  2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Here in NW Arkansas, if we have a REAL mild winter, like temperatures at least 45 during most days, and many nites not dropping below freezing, fescue will not only stay green, but may need mowing every 4 to 6 weeks.

Fescue hot weather dormancy is not even certain in the heat of summer if it is irrigated and mowed no less than 3".
  3. TClawn

I know what your saying, but does it have to have a cool season ( temps below 65 degrees) to really thrive and do well?

what do you mean by hot weather dormancy?
  4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

We grow Tall Fescue in central CA and it stays green all year, you can almost mow it every week if you want. We go all summer with temps 90-100. You might have a higher humidity and have to spray fungicide alot.
  5. TClawn

turf pro, I think that we have a bit higher humidity than in california but not much. I couldn't tell the difference when I was on my grampa's farm in livermore.

I could probably avoid the fungus by only watering every five days.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

10 months ago when I was in Hawaii I did a lot of looking at the landscapes and grass. How sick is that? Anyway, I do believe you can grow it there. In the shady areas were nothing else will grow.