1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fescue lawn being taken over by moss

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmatheny, Jan 20, 2004.

1. cmatheny

cmatheny LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and to the business. I have a Fescue lawn that is being taken over by moss. I aerated and overseeded in the fall. The area is at the bottom of the lawn and it does stay wet. Is there a way to kill the moss and get the grass to grow.
  2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Fix the drainage problem and perhaps get more sun to the area by trimming up some trees, shrubs, or whatever it is.
  3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

NCSU has the right fix. You must need more light,sounds like it stays too shady in the spot?
  4. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Fix the Fescue and your problem is solved. The moss is not competing with the fescue it is just living where the fescue is not.

The advice above will help dry and warm the area, which will make the area less tolerable for moss. You may have to look at acidity in the soil, but it sounds like it is currently too wet and cool for turf grass and fungis loves that moisture. Do the above post and aerate/till and add some soil/humus and seed again.
  5. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

First I would suggest you do what the others have said ;and second do a soil test I bet it needs lime;acidic soil.
  6. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

Does the account have irrigation! If so i bet that you have too much water going down, fescue likes long drinks with infequent waterings.Increase run time and reduce days
  7. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Pulverized lime at a light rate will KILL the moss. A second app a few months later will finish off any small areas that may have survived. I have done this several times with 100% success. Its much quicker and cost effective than any other way.
  8. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

Normally lime will help balance the PH, thus creating an environment that discourages moss growth. A properly balance soil also accepts and utilizes fertilizer more efficiently. After a healthy douse of lime, I put Moss Out to kill. Here in the NW, the above routine is part of on going maintenance

Dave Kent
  9. cmatheny

cmatheny LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for your input.... I had already planned to reseed, but I will do the lime first.
  10. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Don't forget to kill the moss!
    Lime will only help prevent future growth but as Yard Perfect said you need to use a moss killer. If the moss is too bad you also may need to thatch it out before seeding or you'll get nothing out of your seed. :(