Fescue or Bermuda???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by dlite, Jun 26, 2008.

1. dlite

dlite LawnSite Member

I live 20 miles south of Raleigh, NC. I've been told I'm kinda in that "in between" spot where you can grow either Fescue or a warm weather grass. I have a new house and the yard was seeded/strawed which didn't do anything. Last fall I aerated/limed/seeded with fescue and some definitely took, but not as much as I would have hoped. I put down pre-immergent first week in March this year but I have gobs of weeds still. I'd say 50% of the people in my neighborhood have Fescue, 50% have warm weather grass. I've been told that Bermuda is pretty much maintenance free so I'm thinking of basically tearing up my yard piece by piece (as I can afford it) and seeding with bermuda. I want to kill what's there now, drag the top layer of dirt to loosen it, and then put some nice topsoil on top. Then seed with bermuda.

I just want to get opinons on fescue/bermuda in the area which I live. And also, I've heard that bermuda seed is much finer then fescue so difficult to put down with your normal everyday spreader. Any suggestions on how to put it down?? I'd like to sod it but financially that's not in the cards.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

the way we have been these past couple years you will be better off doing bermuda. fescue just cant handle all the hot dry days we have know.

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I have 7 lawn and one happens to be fescue, fescue is a pain in the buxx here in the South, it dies out in the summer and has to be reseeded in the winter.

Burmuda seed should be mixed with sand to get an even broadcasst. It will take 30 days or longer to germinate and will take atleat 2 years to look nice.

Another option would be Zosia, you could but 10 peices of sod and cut them up int approx. 4" peices and plant them in your fescue. It would take 4 or 5 years to take over, if done in bare tilled dirt in 2 years you will have nice grass