1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fescue overseed rate

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grassmasterswilson, Sep 20, 2012.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Curious what rate everyone uses for overseeding after aeration. I've always tried to get 5 lb/1000 bit have considered going higher.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I only overseed areas that need overseeding... when I aerate the turf it is for getting water, ferts and ammendments down into the root zones... areas of bare ground get chewed up a little more that the thick grass and I broadcast the dirt with enough seed to cover at least half the dirt... then I may leave it sit on top and let water work it in,,, I may use a garden weasel to work it in,,, or possibly rake it in depending on the tilth of the soil loosened up at the surface and what is most cost effective...

If I needed to calculate over 1000 sq.ft.,,, I would bother aerating at all... what for??? :)

3. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Usually 8# per k. Sometimes I go up to 10/k
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That's about right for bare soil, brand new lawns... no wonder the cost of seed is so high... :)