Fescue With Bluegrass Rhizomes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TOTALLAWN OF KY, Apr 1, 2003.

1. TOTALLAWN OF KY

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

THE STATE OF KENTUCKY REQIURES 14 HRS TRAINING A YEAR FOR A SPRAY LICENCE ,,,,,AT THESE CLASSES, THEY TALKED ABOUT A FESCUE THATS DO OUT THIS FALL ,,,A FESCUE WITH BLUEGRASS RHISOMES ???? HAS ANY BODY HEARD OF THIS

ITS DO OUT THIS FALL???????

2. when you say fescue be specific!

sheep
    hard
    chewing
    red
    tall
    tt tall

it would be more informative,
    thanks

some of the other bunch grass do spread from stolons and rhizomes

3. TOTALLAWN OF KY

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

well it looks like no one has heard of this yet i will check with the univesrty of kentucky on my info

4. BUT WHICH FESCUE

5. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

Some Fescues do have weak rhizomes! Of the fine Fescues, Red Fescue & Spreading Fescue does have rhizomes while the Chewing fescue, Sheep Fescue and Hard Fescue do not. Tall Fescue is considered a bunch type grass, but it does have very weak rhizomes.

The importance of rhizomes is that strong,active rhizomes gives a turf the ability to recover quickly from injury. A tall Fescue with strong rhizomenous growth could give the industry a cool season grass that has very good tolerance to heat and drought and injury recovery. I have heard of a Tall Fescue known as Rhizomenous Tall Fescue that claims to have strong, active rhizomes. Maybe this is what you have heard in the rumor mill.

jim