Fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chillwill3000, Apr 22, 2005.

1. chillwill3000

chillwill3000 LawnSite Member

when is fescue suppose to come out of dormant stage and turn green again? will puting down crabgrass preventer effect this?

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Fescue doesnt go dormant.

4. chillwill3000

chillwill3000 LawnSite Member

i don't really know anything about grass, i'm just a homeowner who wants green grass, can you give me some info?

5. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Put down some fertilizer and water it.

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

If your grass is dormant, its either Bermuda or Zoysia. Post some pics, and maybe someone can tell you, Or pull a few blades and take them to Souther States, or the like, and they can tell you what it is and how to best care for it.

I think most homeowner don't realize the importance of watering their lawn at least 3-4 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

7. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

sorry for the sarcasm. Cut it to about 3" every week, go buy weed & feed at lowes or home depot and apply it with a either a broadcast or drop spreader at the rate indicated on the back of the bag, water deeply at least one day a week if you haven't had rain in a few days. Scotts and ortho both have good books on lawns for sale at home depot or lowes.

8. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

If it is fescue, it's not dormant, just not growing now. Crabgrass preventer will not hurt it, it will just keep grass from germinating from seed. Post a pic and we can help more.