Fescue?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ETM, Nov 11, 2007.

1. ETM

ETM LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Can anyone tell me what to fertilize fescue with the make it jump and be awsome. Here in Georgia I have 5000 sq ft and it looks preety good but do all you guys up north have any secrets you could feel me in with. Right now I'm doing what lesco says and it looks preety good.
    Oct. 19th I arerated and overseeded and appied 19-19-19 and lime(which I was late doing) and I was wondering what my next step should be. I have a good stand of new fescue right now about 2 inches in height. Let me know what yall think. Thanks in advance.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you get a soil test or are you one of those that apply lime every year without knowing your pH?

3. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

Since you are using lesco products, I would recommend a 24-2-11 (I think thats the formulation) w/ 6% fe. That should keep you looking good up to the winter months.

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Well, If ETM's lawn doesn't have a low pH reading, I'm sure he could use the lime he bought to help repair the pee spots that big bruiser bulldog may have 'burnt' into his yard! :laugh: :laugh: (actually, no kidding ETM, this works!)

5. ETM

from Georgia

Did a soil test a couple of weeks ago and had a ph of 5.2 so I applied lime at the sug. rate of 65# per 1000 sqft. Thanks for all your imput and I don't let GEORGIA pee over there she pees on the bermuda.HA HA

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Holy smokes! 5.2 huh? Just a couple of quick Q's:
    Did you take this sample from a couple of different spots in the fescue, and then 'combine' them in the bag to be sampled, or did you pull one sample from just one location?
    I'm up here in alkaline country, S. Ohio, and I'm not used to seeing acid readings like that occuring naturally. But we create those enviros for rhodos, holly, etc. all the time artificially. I'm sure others in Ga. will be happy to talk about the typical pH in your area, though. What is your soil base? (sand vs. clay vs. silt)
    Are you sure that you didn't draw from some other animal's litter area, that also doubled as your lawn?

7. ETM

from Georgia

Samples were taken from 4 different spots. And clay would be the soil type. I know a little about what is going on. I have lived in this house 3 years and the fescue is under some trees and we just threw some seed out to start with and I'm just getting around to the fescue.I have about 40 pallets of bermuda,9 zones of irrigation 120 plants and now we are concentrating on the fescue. It is irrigated and lime has been put out/aerated and overseeded Oct.19/2007 and put out 19 19 19.Thanks

8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

ETM: I've grown fescue for 50 years or more. Easiest stuff to grow and care for because of the tolerance of 2-4D. Lime that yard now and put down some additional K. You can never have too much K. Use your Dimension (0-0-9) in February 15-March15 in Tennessee and adjust for your climate zone. Let is lay and in the spring just as it is greening up, throw the Dimension plus fertilizer something like 13-0-5 so you don't have to mow so much. You probably don't need the additional Phosphorus, and I use 10-10-10 agricultural fertilizer on it at about $12/bag for an intermediate feeding about 60 days after the spring feeding. Roy