Fescue

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by APLUS LAWN CARE, May 24, 2012.

1. APLUS LAWN CARE

APLUS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from North Missouri

Does anyone else have problems mowing fescue? I have a few cemeteries that I mow that are primarily fescue grass and for some reason I cannot get that fescue grass to mow very good at all. I have tried everything I know to do including using sharp blades, mowing slow, and double cutting. It seems like it is especially hard to cut when it is really dry out. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

What mower/deck and blade combo are you using? Cutting height?

3. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

What type of mower might help too
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Darryl G

Yeah we really have nothing to go on here. Also, what exactly is the problem with the cut quality? Stringers, laying down, uneven cut?

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  5. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of fescue tttf is thicker stands up better, fine fescues lay over and are harder to stand back up to cut.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have one yard thats part fescue and part bahia. only the lawnboy /gator or snapper robin/ninja will cut it cleanly. forget using a big mower on this stuff. i didnt think anything was worse than bahia-but fescue is

7. APLUS LAWN CARE

APLUS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from North Missouri

I am using a non-commercial Cub Cadet zero-turn with a 50" deck and factory blades. I cut about 3 to 3.5 inches.

The problem is that I have strips of grass that the blades wont cut (it appears to be where the blades meet up). I also have a problem with it laying over and not being able to cut it.

I am not exactly sure what kind of fescue it is, but it is a really fine fescue.

8. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Have you sharpened the blades lately? How old are the blades? It maybe time for a new set. Try a set of high lifts if a new set is needed. Have you checked your deck pitch?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

For a non commercial cub cadet deck + fine fescue + cutting 3-3.5" = not gonna get a good cut. That deck probably doesn't have enough suction to stand the grass back up after the front tires and leading edge of deck push it down and it could be laying it over where the blades meet and not cutting it off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Darryl G

It can be hard to stand fine fescues up even with a commercial mower. Are you sure you have the right blades on it? Also are the tips of them still square? The tips tend to wear faster than the rest of the blade since they do most of the work, and after a while get rounded off, which effectively shortens them, causing them to miss grass...that's my best guess.

You keep your deck clean, right? Because if you let it plug up that can cause the problem too.