Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassRoots Grounds, Apr 22, 2004.

1. GrassRoots Grounds

GrassRoots Grounds LawnSite Member

I have a customer complaining that I am not cutting his fescue low enough. What is the height most of you are cutting, my mower is set at 3 1/2 inches?
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

fesques can be maintained at 2'' at the lowest, but most people are cutting right now at either 2.5-3'' thats on all cool season grasses.
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

For me.. 3.5 is the ideal height
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We set all mowers at 3.5" and that's where they stay..
  6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

there are different cultivars of Tall Fescue. Some have a more dwarf growth habit and can be mowed lower. K-31 is not the same as Rebel. The finer stuff I would mow at the low end of the range, the coarser at the high end, for the particular time of year. Maybe 2.5" to 3.5" this time of year. Lower than 2.5" and I think you may be doing more harm than good long term.
  7. advantagelawn

advantagelawn LawnSite Member

Right now mow it no lower than 2.5. Once temps get above 85 consistently raise it up to 3.5-4. I have all mine at 3.5 and 4.0 right now, like them to be thick.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

With spring growth, you can mow it lower to keep up. However, with the summer heat you need to protect the crown with a taller cut. The bottom line is whatever the customer wants no matter what. We all know better and people will talk about their reputations but, it all boils down to who pays you.