Fess up solos, how much are you making

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royalslover, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious as to what some of you solo guys are doing in terms of revenue. It seems like no one on here will actually say what they make. Come on, it's cyber space. No one knows each other and even if some of you do what's with all the secrecy? Since I'm asking the question, I'll start. $80,000 in 03. I just mow and do clean-ups. I used about 120 hours of help. That is total revenue minus no expenses. I'd just like to know where I am compared to industry standard.

2. juststarting023

juststarting023 LawnSite Member

I did $60k in 03 and had 225 hours of help (family) only on my cemetery.trying for $70k this year. I also do just mow and clean-ups. 03 was my second year in business I would say I am doing well.

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

"It seems like no one on here will actually say what they make"

It seems that question falls under the big 3 you never ask a man.
    You know; how many he's killed, who he's screwing, and how much he makes.

4. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the replies will be BS anyway, so why start a thread like this?

5. metro-hp_48

from TN

That's what I was figuring, Lombardi.

6. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

And what does gross really tell you in this business? You could still be making peanuts. Net income is at least somewhat comparable.

7. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I'm kinda interested myself, so I will reply. Last year was my first full time year and I didn't get started until the last week of March. My gross receipts were just over $40,000 with maybe 20 hours of help from friends and family when I absolutely needed it. This year I am adding snow plowing and have had more opportunity to do advertise and do early spring pruning and mulch. I am hoping to do around $50,000 this being my second year. I also added a ZTR to increase my productivity. I'm getting married in July so gotta make plenty of extra cash for the honeymoon.

8. metro-hp_48

from TN

Congrad. captaingreen, on you upcoming nuptuals! (sp) Hope you make a bunch for the honeymoon (you'll have the memories forever)

9. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Why not reformat this question as a poll? Show 4 different ranges of NET income (that's what matters....). This would provide complete anonimity for everyone replying.

10. PRO PROPERTY CARE

PRO PROPERTY CARE LawnSite Member

My first year was good. I wont say how much. sorry.
    But there are alot of factors when you give your gross income.
    As you are aware. Some of us have tons of overhead, and some dont. So the gross amound doesnt mean much.
    Subtract all your expenses, then see how you did .....
    I have very little over head and 90 percent of my equipment is paid for. I have only one helper. So mine is good.

Im in Canada too. So a dollar here is like 25 cents there...lol...

:cool: