Fewer threads..., "..I hate my $55k to $75k secure job with benefits"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Exact Rototilling, May 18, 2013.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Might be just me.....?

2. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Here ya go...
    I hate my 142K job with benfits :)

3. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

benefits and steady income are overrated anyway. lol.

4. ncnurseryman

ncnurseryman LawnSite Member

I like being close to poverty. Keeps me humble. Ha.

5. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

:drinkup: That is funny don't care who you are! :clapping:

6. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

how this one for ya? i hate being a fireman for over 10 yrs running a million dollar firestation being over a 500 thousand dollar fire truck being in charge of houses on fire with people inside or head on wrecks where the patient in barely alive for 39,880 dollars. thats right 10 10 10 10 10 YEARS! and im not in a **** town with no population and making more on the side then i make there with crap insurance and hardly any retirement. thats a goodun right there. :)

7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

For being a Lt. or Capt. in a FD that is a crap wage. Most of the FD here pay vastly more than that with gravy train benefits. Plus the clear advantages of the 24 hour shift followed by 48 or 72 hours off.

Then there are the issues with seeing tragedy, mangled bodies, work injuries and the list goes on.....

There are trade offs.....

8. Southern Lawn Care  LLC

Southern Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I'm a professional fireman here in alabama been a fireman for 7 years. A few years ago I decided I didn't want to do it full time anymore because of the pay of a fireman sucks around here. I've been at lowes driving a truck a while and make more money driving that truck than as a fireman. That's just sad in my opinion. I volunteer now to keep my credits up and work part time spill shifts for 12 hours when needed but not often. Next year il drop down from full time at lowes to part time and run my business full time. Il have lowes to get me through winter when it's slower. I can't just sit around. I have to be doing something always. For you fireman I understand! Officers do not do near what we do and their jobs are a lot easier compared to fighting fire. I was a reserve officer for a few years so I'm not speaking from not knowing.

9. Babbages01

Babbages01 LawnSite Member

We've got it good around here. Dallas FD starts out around $45K and most every other department at least on the Dallas side of DFW starts around $52-55K.

I hear if you can stick it out with Dallas and retire as a captain they have such good benefits that you'll be pulling in over a million a year just in retirement. They do some private retirement system instead of something run by the city I think.

10. Jimer

Jimer LawnSite Member

Your not alone with the FD i've been here 5 years and lost money every year out of my check for insurance and this that and the other. 96 hour check is only 650 bucks. Im in school and working 3 jobs with two kids and wife. I bring home about 7 bucks an hour while at the Firehouse after benefits. It sucks because I like the Fire Department but you can't make a living doing it.