Fewer threads..., "..I hate my $55k to $75k secure job with benefits"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Exact Rototilling, May 18, 2013.

1. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

jimer, where ya work?

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

hey i quit my 50k+ a year job with full benefits free of charge to do lawn care full time.

i don't regret it one bit.

sure good pay and benefits are what everyone wants as well as stability but good god man it sucks the freakin' life out of you in the process. i'd rather live on the edge owning my own business and still feel like a human being instead of a robot. :laugh:

when i worked that job i felt like that was my entire life. that job. everything revolved around my job. now i feel like my business is just a part of my life. it revolves around the rest of my life. i think that is the way it is supposed to be. your job should never be your life or main focus in life.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'd gladly trade what I do now for a 40hr/wk $75k secure job with benefits. Right now I'm working about 90 for a little more then that!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Jimer

Jimer LawnSite Member

Cherokee. I'll Send you a pm

5. nnusskern

nnusskern LawnSite Member

Im a volunteer firefighter. Got to do it cause you love the job not the money.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Jimer

Jimer LawnSite Member

I do like the job. But when you have a family, love for the job don't pay the bills.

7. Four_Seasons

Four_Seasons LawnSite Member

Seems like all the firefighters, Volunteer and Full time are in Lawn Care or Painting on the side. lol

8. Southern Lawn Care  LLC

Southern Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

You got that right. Around here your lucky to start off at 25k a year. Screw that. I made that salary with free insurance. Now my wife is a full time dispatcher for 911 in our home county has free benefits for family (we have no kids) and will always be free. She makes great money and does it full time working 14 days a month. I wouldn't change my decision for the world. Il keep my credentials up because of some of the positions I hold around the county and with the local EMA. Otherwise I could careless about it.

9. Babbages01

Babbages01 LawnSite Member

When you work 24 on 48 off it provides excellent time to work another job. Me and several of my buddies do lawncare on our days off, my medic instructor did window washing. Some also are nurses and work part time in an ER, one is even a realtor. Some do commercial roofing as well. There's also two big firefighter owned moving companies around here but I don't know any of them.

Christmas lights, that's where the money is at. Sadly about five years ago one of the guys from here in town fell off a roof hanging lights and died after a few months in the hospital.