FH580V Burning oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by unkownfl, Nov 6, 2013.

1. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Wright RH model with the Kawasaki FH580V engine. It's build date is 05/06 and I uploaded the data plate I found below. The issue I'm having is the performance is still satisfactory however, it consumes oil and blows a lot of smoke on initial start up of the day and every time it sit between lawns. The consumption is around a quart a week (10 mower hours) I only have around 700 hrs on this machine if that as I have left the key on a few weekends. Once the machine burns off what in the muffler or whatever it seems to stop smoking. I have done a compression check and its 130 even on both cylinders. I have removed the valve covers and it seems the valve guides are still in place and seals are still there. Its been sitting in storage for almost three years now.

[​IMG]

2. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

Replace the valve stem seals. After this test.

Place the vehicle in park or neutral with the emergency brake set. Start the engine and let it warm to normal operating temperature THIS IS AT IDLE. Rev the engine a few times and look back at the exhaust tailpipe. If you notice any blue-white smoke exiting the tailpipe, it can indicate excessive oil consumption, caused by worn or defective oil seals.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_7340441_test-bad-valve-guide-seals.html

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Prolly worn rings...
    I have never seen an ohv lawnmower engine stop smoking by just replacing the valve seals.
    Maybe an old 283 chevy....but not no mower engine...

4. unkownfl

That's what I'm thinking. I'm guessing an oil ring failed yet the compression rings are still good.

5. unkownfl

The full model number is fh580v-cs23. I couldn't find it at first but it was behind the oil tank.

6. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

Once the machine burns off what in the muffler or whatever it seems to stop smoking.

If it was oil rings it would smoke constantly no? Although oil r is more likely with 700 hours only if you throw piston rings or do any work inspect for fit and pliability/change the vss is an excellent idea also to determine where the failure is/was.

7. unkownfl

I took the heads off and have found the rings are leaking oil past them as the mower sits. I can visually confirm this with the heads off now. Question is should I re-ring and put it back together or buy a replacement engine? The cylinders look good with my eye so I'm going to put a ring in a check and various spots in the bore. I figure if I re-ring it I will need a ring set at 40 a piece bottom seal and head gaskets? I'm not sure if the head and rod bolts are re-useable? I might just buy new ones anyway. I figure I'm just going to rtv the exhaust, valve covers and crank case seals.

8. GARRETTWOOD

GARRETTWOOD LawnSite Senior Member

Must be that engine? Mine has the same problem. Its in pieces right now, waiting for parts.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

You need to "deglaze" the cylinders. Flex hone:waving:

10. unkownfl

Yes I know how to rebuild an engine and I don't care for flex hones.