FH580V Kawasaki Governor problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by vgshopboss, Jun 4, 2008.

1. vgshopboss

vgshopboss LawnSite Member

Been on this one all day. Have a Kawi FH580V that shelled the governor (guide plate melted). Installed used parts out of a junker I have in the shop. The used parts were in good shape, the alignment pins weren't sheared on the guide, the governor plate was still in good shape, ball bearings were fine.

So now I can't get this thing to NOT race. I have re-set the governor arm on the shaft, completely tore down and cleaned the carb with my bucket-o-cleaner and shop air. I did perform a leak down test on the engine, and I am at about 35-40% leakage, but it just seems like the governor is not working at all. Just looking for suggestions.

2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Hard for a non-rep man to help a shop owner.

First thing I'd check would be if the governor you put in even bears the same part number as the original.

Next I'd just start the engine and control the throttle directly with my finger. Just feel for any tension coming from the governor arm. From what you're saying the governor is'nt doing anything at all. Could be a bad part or was'nt hooked in correctly.

All I can think of, sorry.