FH680V-CS04 replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tkauffman, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Tkauffman

Tkauffman LawnSite Member

Good afternoon everyone, I'm new here with my first post and unfortunately it's a question!

I have a 2003 Great Dane Super Surfer with a 23hp Kawasaki model FH680V-CS04. The engine no longer runs and I need to replace it asap.

I have went to my local dealer who contacted Kawasaki and he was told that the FH680V-GS06 is the replacement engine for this mower.

I talked to Tulsa Engine Warehouse and they also stated I could drop to a 19 hp and go with the FH601V-S06 for a decent savings.

My question is has anyone here ever replaced a Kawasaki with a Briggs and Stratton engine on a Great Dane mower. The model #350777 has the same shaft size and length, the bolt pattern is supposedly the same, however I am wondering about the wiring etc.. I could save about $700 on the Briggs, what are your thoughts, is it possible and feasible?

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Is the Briggs a Vanguard? If not your 700 savings will be blown when you replace engines twice as often or more.

3. ABeautifulCutAboveInc.

ABeautifulCutAboveInc. LawnSite Member

Not a bad site to take a look at different brands of motors. You'll have to check the shaft size and details. By the end of this season, I'll be replacing my Fh680v-ds02. I would never go down in power or quality. You will be kicking yourself in the face. Just my 2 cents!
    http://www.jackssmallengines.com/

4. Tkauffman

I have two 52" Great Danes. One is a 97 model with an 18 hp Briggs Vanguard and the other is an 03 with a 23hp Kawasaki. The Kawasaki is dead meanwhile the Briggs is alive and kicking with 4 times the hours on it. That is why I'm thinking of going with the Briggs and I'm not worried about a drop from 23hp to an 18 hp Briggs or even a 19hp Kawasaki.

If the shaft size of a Briggs Vanguard is identical and it bolts on what other issues could I run into regarding compatibility. I really want a Briggs as I have had good luck with them I just want to make sure it is compatible.

I also found a supplier named Russo Power Equipment ($1,349) out of Michigan for $451 less than Jacks Small Engines ($1,800).

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Have you checked your visitor's messages ???

6. Tkauffman

Just to wrap things up. I bought the FH680V-gs06 from Russo Power Equipment for $1349 with free shipping and paid $250 to have it mounted at a local shop. The Great Dane runs like new and wired up without a problem. Russo Power Equipment did me right, I highly reccomend them!

7. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Haha, couldn't have worded that better.

You SHOULD be happy with your mower now as you just put $1600 into it.

8. Tkauffman

You nailed it DT Lawn Care, I am extremely HAPPY! I bought the mower used with engine problems and next to nothing hours on it (first owner, I mean moran, ran it without an air filter amoungst other things) My total for an almost new 52" Great Dane with a couple hundred hours on it, less than $3000. Sure beats $6000 for a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!