FH721V 25 hp Kawi bogs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by AbsoluteH&L, Sep 12, 2007.

1. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 Wright Sentar with a FH721V 25 hp Kawasaki. Out of the blue it started bogging when I turn on the blades. I usually turn on the blades at partial throttle as to not hammer on the pto clutch, now it will bog and stall at any throttle position. I just put in new plugs and a new air filter and it didn't change a thing. Anyone got any ideas?! Thanks

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

water in the carb bowl?

3. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 26hp Lc version and find to engage blades at lower speed without bogging down, engage the choke until the engine starts to slow, then start blades, decrease choke and increase rpm. This procedure makes for a smooth low speed blade engagement for me.

4. AbsoluteH&L

I checked that. I drained the bowl, nothing but gas. I am about to go back out and try a few more tricks. See if the issue is with the deck,but it was fine on the prior lawn. Thanks for the ideas guys.

5. AbsoluteH&L

Well its related to the pto clutch. I just pulled the deck belt and it still bogs, back fires, and will stall. Must be something with the clutch. It is intermittent, because it did stay running once. Any ideas with this new scenario. I hate breakdowns!

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Have you adjusted the clutch air gap lately? How many hours on the machine?

7. AbsoluteH&L

I have never heard of adjusting the clutch air gap. It has 750 hours on it. So how do you adjust it?

8. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, Anyone think it could be a safety switch ?

Sure sounds like it to me....

This is where a in-line spark tester would come in handy checking for spark when the switch is thrown.

10. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Rob does have a good point!
    If there is a "flaky" switch in the PTO circuit, it could be intermittently trying to kill the engine-