FH721V 25 hp Kawi bogs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by AbsoluteH&L, Sep 12, 2007.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i second the safety switch idea. i'm not familiar with the wright mowers, but does it have an operator presence switch or sensor? after 750 hours, something is bound to come loose.

2. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L LawnSite Member

Well I unplugged the clutch, started the engine, hit the PTO and it stumbled and died. So I would say I got a bad PTO switch. I checked what I could of the main loom to look for bad spots where it could be a short, all looked good. Well a switch is a lot cheaper than a clutch, alot easier to install too!

3. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

You didn't list your serial #, so I'm not sure if I'm looking at the wRIGHT schematic:)
    http://www.wrightmfg.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Support.7931F49A-FFE3-F0A5-14FE525345D360C5

Try disconnecting the relay and see if the problem still occurs.
    It should have terminals marked 30, 85, 86, 87, 87a with Orange, Red, Black with/Orange stripe and 2 "ground" wires, color unknown.

Just a shot. I'd expect that relay to be less $ than the PTO switch, and relatively easy to remove.
    Like I say, i don't know if I have the correct schematic and I'm still kind of trying to figure it out (the relay doesn't have a schematic), but it seems like a best, low cost try.

4. AbsoluteH&L

Hopefully its the relay and it is cheaper. I just wasted $20 on the PTO switch and it's not that. I have taken apart nearly every plug, switch, or connection and cleaned them and it has gotten a little better. I hate wiring gremlins. I have no way to test the relay other than to replace it but that will have to be tomorrow when the dealer opens up.

5. AbsoluteH&L

By the way, mine is a 2003 so it falls somewhere in the 19729-26979 serial #s. The wiring looks pretty much the same. It's a better diagram than mine. I like the colors and labeling, but mine has better pictures of the mower parts, full color pictures. Nice! Thanks for all the help from every one so far.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Have you un-plugged reference #19 operator presence switch and put a jumper wire across the plug connector ?

This switch could be bad and save the price of the relay not being the problem either.

7. AbsoluteH&L

the prior owner already did that. I was going to do it to the other switches too just to see if it was any of them causing issues.

8. AbsoluteH&L

Well my problems are back to haunt me again. I think it's the PTO relay. Any one have any other ideas? Let me know!:help:

9. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

If it's the relay with terminals marked 30, 85, 86, 87 & 87a then it's a "standard" Bosch relay available at about any auto parts store. It should be relatively inexpensive.

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm
    Is a good link about how the Bosch relay works. Scroll down a bit.

10. AbsoluteH&L

Holy crap you just saved me $25!!!:clapping: $5 at the local auto store or $30 at my Wright dealer! What a scam!:mad: Thanks for the info. This site is so invaluable!