fiber optic cables

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RBP, May 30, 2004.

1. RBP

RBP LawnSite Member
    from mi

can anyone tell me how far down fiber optic cables are typically buried.I am doing a landscape install and one of the areas i need to dig in has been marked with fiber optic flags by the utility location company(MIS DIG).I need to put in edging,stones,and a weeping cherry right in the location where the flags are.Obviously i will dig by hand and be very careful but i am still worried about hitting them.

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

just find the butt of a cable line/phone line, and pull them up, do your work then re-dig them ;) thats what i did when their were burried cable lines.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is something I would be very careful with. Those repair men to fix cut lines make just about $1,500 per repair.

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i would get ahold of the company that owns that fiber optic and ask them to come take a look at it. if you were to break that line they would have to replace the whole line to where they connected to. its not cheap at all. whatever you do dont pull up on the line AT ALL.

5. RBP

RBP LawnSite Member
    from mi

here is another question.if they normally bury them say 4 ft. deep and this one is only buried 2 ft. deep and i damage it is it still my faultand if it is my fault my insurance should cover the repair cost shouldnt it

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it should, but I would check with your insurane company first. Make sure your covered under liability for landscaping work like that

7. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

as long as the lines were marked the insurance comany could always go after the utility compnay that marked them

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am not sure if you have this service there, but there is a local number here where they will come out and flag for all lines in whatever you want to work in. It's free of charge and will do it with 48 hours of your call.

9. Cutters Lawn Care

Cutters Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've only had one experience with fiber optic cable and it was burried 1 ft deep.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

We have that service here and actually I think its the law here that you must call before you dig.