fiber optics...in this situation?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by irrig8r, Aug 7, 2008.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a customer who wants lights in the waterfall that spills into the pool. Most of the time there's no water running over it. They just turn it on when the pool is in use.

Someone before me installed a NS Flipper behind one of the boulders. When I got there it was yellowed and cracked and I ditched it and pulled the cable out of the area.

LV transformers are only 15 feet away, but do any fiber optics run on LV systems?

Google gets me to a lot of crappy sites that sell mostly to DIYs, and then other outdated info (like maybe three years old) referring me to companies who have moved or changed names since.

Where's a good site for contractors to buy from? Are there any fiber optics manus that provide training?

Anyone know anything about IlluminFX? Fiberstars? Something better?

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Gregg, I don't know of any low voltage fiber optics but if you have power just 15' away there shouldn't be an issue. IlluminfX works very well and you can get it from Terradek. Gerry is very knowledgeable about the product and if you can comb your hair in the morning, you can install that stuff (VERY SIMPLE).

Good luck,

3. NiteTymeIlluminations

NiteTymeIlluminations LawnSite Senior Member

Nexxus lighting makes the waterfall back light that is awesome...I dont have time right now to send you direct link but go to www.nexxuslighting.com and follow the links to pool and spa division and then go to specialty lighting

4. NiteTymeIlluminations

Does anyone get the feeling that Paul is now on Gerry's payrolll...what ever happened to Longhorn, you used to work for Longhorn didnt you Paul...lol...

5. NightScenes

I do almost all of my puchasing through Longhorn but they don't carry the IlluminFX and Gerry is the one who turned me on to it also. Besides, Gerry is a great guy and know his s**t when it comes to lighting.

6. NiteTymeIlluminations

your bat is turning the same time as my recycle thing...stop it...

I'm just teasing about Gerry...he is a good guy...just havent seen you send leads to longhorn lately...

7. NightScenes

My bad, I guess I'll have to put together an add for Rich Swor and Longhorn Irrigation Supply in Texas. They do great by me, that's for sure.

8. NiteTymeIlluminations

I'd just like to see those guys share some knowledge to us commoners more often..they only chime in when they are brought up or see a potential to get a client...they can share ideas here...I know they can I used to...Gerry, Rich, stop lurking and start sharing ideas and helping strangers out then you can...lol...I see you!!!!

9. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

IlluminFX is a great company and make a great and very user friendly system. I have sold many of them and have installed a handfull. They work really well!

10. NiteTymeIlluminations

I guess we need to klnow what kind of waterfall...big, small try type, etc...i never sugggest a side glow fiberoptic unless you are a fiber master...they just end up being a waste of money...if you are talking end glow, IlluminFz is very user friendly yes, but I think if you are serious about making a statement you'd be better off using Nexxus and getting some really nice fittings etc...its up to budget I think