Fiberglass on concrete patio...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PurpHaze, Nov 16, 2005.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

A couple of years ago the wife and I went to the coast for the weekend and left our 17-year-old son home. Some how he experimented with fiberglass and put some under the torch on our back patio. I have two pools of melted fiberglass on the concrete patio that has a broom finish. Anyone know a tried and true method of getting this stuff off without doing too much damage to the concrete? Thanks.

2. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

40 Grit Sandpaper and dreams

3. PurpHaze

I thought about sandpaper/grinding wheel but don't want to do too much damage. But considering the alternative of having the crap on the patio guess I really can't go too wrong. :waving:

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

fiberglass the whole thing?

5. PurpHaze

LMAO! Actually when my son finally leaves the house for good I'll probably cap the whole thing with some type of paver, stone, etc. When that time comes I'll be asking the pros here for advice. He's also spray painted car parts on the patio and some of the bright blue paint made in onto another area. :cry:

6. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If you use a 4# BFH and tap lightly, you sould be able to chip it off without wrecking the concrete. Fiberglass and concrete are incompatable items, and after the water and elements take their toll, it would release all by itself.

7. PurpHaze

Duh me!!! Hadn't thought about that. It just might chip away. Thanks.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Bright blue? Does he drive a ford?

9. PurpHaze

I drive the Ford. His is a beater Chebo Cavalier. Probaly the cheapest paint he could find. :D

10. Limeade

Limeade LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Power washer, 3000-4000 psi