Fictitious name.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Duncan90si, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

I have been doing landscaping/lawncare professionally for years. I'm now starting my own gig this year, because I'm tired of working for a company and not making any money. I found the website for PA to apply for my business name. There are three options to pick from and I'm a bit confused. The site is talking about multiple license and permit applications etc. I just need the paperwork for the company name. Or is there something else I need? I don't want to have to pay $80 for a company name if I don't have to. Maybe I'm looking into this too much.

http://www.businesslicenses.com/pricing.php?state=PA&license_type_id=Fictitious%20Business%20Name

Which option out of the three should I go for. I'm leaning towards the second/middle option but I'd rather go with the first choice. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

2. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

This site you are looking at is a third party company isn't it? You pay them, and they get it all going for you, or lead you in the right direction.

Visit your Secretary of State office website, or visit their office if it is close to you. Here in Indiana, it is $90. a year to register your company. You make the decision of sole prop., corporation, etc, and file the form with them.

Here is a site to our Secretary of State here in Indiana to show you what I am talking about.

http://www.in.gov/sos/business/corps/guide.html

Hope this helps,

Dave

3. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

here, it is done at our county clerk's office.

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Same here, just go down to the tax office and they will hook you up.

6. worksplay

worksplay LawnSite Member
    from PA

did u work 4 a large co

7. Duncan90si

Thanks for all the help guys.

The company I worked for had anywhere between 4-7 employees including myself plus the owner. The owner is a great guy and a good friend. I did everything but billing. I would do the supervising, estimating, laboring, did I'm I mention supervising (haha)etc. I'm tired of having damn near as many responsibilities as the owner and babysitting/training people for an hourly rate. So I finally decided that if I'm going to be stressed out and have headaches over work it might as well be my own business thats causing it.

8. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

You think you have headaches now working for someone, wait till ur doing it on ur own. dont get me wrong I love it, but there is more then you think to do, lots of paperwork.

9. Duncan90si

I've done the paper work from time to time. I know its not a walk in the park, but if not this year, eventually I'll be making more money. Besides I don't really plan on working for $13-$18 an hour the rest of my life. I'd rather have a few more headaches and have a better income along with a future for myself and my family.

10. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

do a search on yahoo for pennsylvania secretary of state. theyll tell you what you need to do to register ur business...

you might need to register your name first, i kno that can possibly be done through the county office..not positive tho