Field Billing with computers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NCLawnMedic, Mar 5, 2005.

1. NCLawnMedic

NCLawnMedic LawnSite Member

Any one have truck mounted computers for time tacking and or billing point of sale? Alot of other industries have produces programs that can be computer or palm based for portability. Anyone know of any?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Clip, Qxpress, Lawn Monkey (I think), Real Green

3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

4. chriscampbell

chriscampbell LawnSite Member

I plan to have a laptop mounted in my truck for easy billing. Everytime you visit you can mark the time and date and services performed. Then when you send an invoice it has all that info for them. Then when you go out to give a bid on a landscaping project you can bid it and print it right at the jobsite. When I subed out some of the brickwork the guy I used had this setup.

5. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic LawnSite Member

I just got a tablet notebook computer for this years operations....This way I can do onsite invoicing, estimates, proposals and keep track of times and notes.. I can even load my hardscape portfolio on it for landscape presentations that I show a potential hardscape customer. This is far better than my IBM Thinkpad which I had to go back into the truck and type on. Its more mobile.

With a Tablet you can use it while you walk a property. You can write everything in by hand and have it converted to text when you want. You can draw diagrams and annotations on an estimate or photo. It also has a built in wireless card so you can pull up to any place that has wireless access including most homes and check and send your emails. It has a laptop keyboard that you can plug into it if you need a keypad.

So if you are thinking of getting a laptop I would consider a Tablet...Might cost you a bit more but looks more professional and will save you a lot of time especially for those of you that don't type that fast.....

There are others on the market but I feel this is the best one I have found:
    www.motioncomputing.com

I will let you guys know how it works for me this year...Its less than a week old so i cant tell you much about it till I put it into use.

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I don't have time to spend on billing while I'm working. I print a weekly mowing schedule every Monday morning using Microsoft Excel and use that to track services. When I get home at night I enter the billing info into Quickbooks. At the end of the month all of the billing info is ready and the invoices are printed.

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

This has allowed me to be paperless for the last 8-9 years:

[​IMG]

But I would never consider billing in the truck. HISTORY IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ANY BUSINESS. I have a history of all properties back to 1989 right at my fingertips, except for the financial part. I just don't ever want to get bogged down on a jobsite discussing financial details. They already have those on the bill, LOL.

All financial work is done from the desktop, using data uploaded from the notebook.

Can't help ya on software. Wasn't any in '89, so I wrote my own. And I have never seen one that will do the billing detail that I need. But then I gave up looking 5-6 years ago.

8. NCLawnMedic

NCLawnMedic LawnSite Member

MidAtlantic,

If you don't mind me asking what did you pay for the tablet. I saw MSRP but wondered if you bought it for cheaper. I like the way it looks as far as size. I was just looking at a tablet called hammerhead that is just like a home PC, can just about do anything. As far as the software, I see that gopher and others make good programs, but if I keep track of times and costs on the tablet, will they integrate with the computer I do the billing from? I am trying to streamline billing as well as see where I can make my service more efficient timewise.

9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got a laptop to track job time in excel after breaking 2 pda's, works much better just hit 3 keys and it enters the start and stop time, I am fixing to set it up to track windshield time average hourly earnings expenses etc. I will probably get a printer to invoice installations, I usually bill at completion and like to go home with the check in my hand.