field covers

Discussion in 'Sports Field Management' started by brown2501, Feb 21, 2011.

1. brown2501

brown2501 LawnSite Member

Any info good or bad on field growth covers . Does any one use them ? Is it worth it?

thanks

2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure what you are looking for, but we use them and they do a tremendous job. Well worth it.

We dormant seed early winter and cover them, the growth and establishment under the cover is significantly better than uncovered areas.

Last spring, wish I had pics, but the covered areas were still noticeably greener and thicker all the way into May.

3. tcjim

tcjim LawnSite Member

I have used turf blankets. You can gain about 2 weeks growing time in the spring. they raise temps about 10 degrees under the blankets. It is probably a good idea to apply a preventative snow mold application before installing the blanket if you put them on in the fall. It is probably still beneficial to install one now. I have a picture somewhere I will try to dig up

4. tcjim

tcjim LawnSite Member

Here is a picture of turf response in the early spring

Turf Blankets jpeg.jpg

5. tcjim

tcjim LawnSite Member

Another thing you can do to wake up the turf in the spring is fertilize early with ammonium sulfate nitrogen at 1/2 to 3/4 lb. N per th. sq. ft.

6. brown2501

brown2501 LawnSite Member

Thank you for info it should help.
    We are in the middle of building a small soccer complex (3 fields ) to start . Was old corn fields we got from the town. We are all volunteers doing this with little knowledge. So with help from you guys to make it easier I hope.

I am sure I will be asking more info in the future ?

thanks

7. tcjim

tcjim LawnSite Member

Volunteerism is a very frustrating endeavor. I am building a baseball infield along with grading and seeding 3 acres of multi purpose athletic turf area at a local church in what used to be a hay field. I approached laterally every green organization in New Jersey seeking help and or support and received "0" so, I am doing it all myself. My advice is "Don't expect anything and be happy with whatever comes your way. I really think that giving benefits the giver more than the receiver.