Field mice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I just picked up a lawn last week and I believe it's infested with field mice or some other little critters. As I make my passes I see them scurrying to thier holes in the ground. Some of the turf is screwed up. This is the first time I've seen this. What action needs to take place here?

Thanks..

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

here in ROCKY TOP, the best shooters can hit a mouse at the dump with a 22. personally, I can't see that well and I have to aim at the rats.

now, to the point of your post, mice are every where. if you see them in the lawn, they have infested the house and everything near!

there is a big problem with that many mice('es)!

GEO

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

get a very well trained ambitious cat and drop him off at that account to play for a little while.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't seen mice all over but I have seen more than a few on a property. This usually occurs where a new development has taken place in former farm or field and now the mice have moved nextdoor. My mower usually can run them down, I have 3 this season.

I have seen a lot of meadow vole damage this spring on the lawns that were not cut down in the fall. Mice like fields with thick longer growing lawn and if you can cut it down to 2.5 you might get them to not like it but you may burn the lawn if it gets hot.

If I were you I would inform the property owner and let them get the Orkin man out there. Don't mess with the poisons yourself for obvious liability issues. Then in the fall knock it down to 1.75 to 2" for the last cut of the year to prevent the little buggers form staying the winter.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

talk the homeowner into a female cat. want be long until
    the mice are controlled an you are dodging kittens.

6. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

i see mlce and snakes a lot while bush hogging .and i chase them down