Field mowing ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sgallaher, Feb 6, 2006.

1. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

I am placing a bid to mow down some grassy brush around a residential community. The area is mostly flat and open. There is approx 5-6 acres that have small seedlings growing that are in tubes. The tubes are spaced about 6 feet apart. In this area I plan on using walk behind brush hogs. The rest of the area is about 18 arces of grassy brush that I can use a tractor with pull behind field mower. There are also two dry ponds that will need to be cleared of brush and cat tails. They are about 2-3 acres total in size. How much would you charge for this? I am thinking about 96 man hours total plus equipment charges. I was thinking about $5700. What do you guys think?

2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

At the man hours you specified that is only $59.38/hr with out equipment charge. Or are you charging $20/hr and $39/hr for equipment. However you feel compelled to break it down it's still only $59.38/hr. 5-6 Acres with a walk-behind brush hog?

3. sgallaher

Yeah, the 5-6 acres would be with walk behind brush hogs. We will be running 2 of them at a time while 1 guy uses the tractor. Should I charge more? How does $35/man hr $35/equipment hr sound. That would be $6720. This is the largest field mowing job for us, just difficult to figure out how much time to estimate.

4. sgallaher

Here are some pics of the area.
    DSC01051.JPG

DSC01051.JPG

DSC01059.JPG

5. sgallaher

DSC01063.JPG You can see the tubes that we have to mow around DSC01063.JPG

DSC01063.JPG

6. sgallaher

not sure what happend above but here DSC01065.JPG

DSC01065.JPG

7. sgallaher

8. sgallaher

Sorry, the computer is not uploading the files.

9. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is going to take you 96 hours to do the job, then $5700.00 is about right. ..... The bigger question is, why is it going to take you that long ?

10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would say by the looks of all those plastic pipes sticking up. I do agree that it can be done in less time then 96 hrs.