Field Report (Aramid Fiber Magnum Gatorline)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 20, 2006.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I have being doing so much better with my arm/wrist/hand problems from trimming that I have actually taken on some brush cutting jobs here and there lately.

During the process, I decided to field test the square Magnum Gatorline with the Aramid fiber core. I had read so much here about the Gatorline, I said why not field test some of the best they make.

So I picked up some .95 size line, so I would be comparing apples to apples size wise. I took it out and ran it a while in almost every application from very harsh brush cutting, to edging, to regular light grass trimming.

I like the clear color of it and I like the performance on tough jobs. It lasts pretty well and what it can cut surprises me. My dislikes are that it flings a LOT of debris, both vegetative and NOT. One of those logger helmets with the face guard is not a bad idea... It also screams as it spins. Lots of noise compared to Sufix Mega Twist, but not a whole lot more than the Cub Commercial Xtreme line.

It seems this line's weakness is that it splits to the core and frays at the ends. That seems to be the main reason of consumption. Overall, it's a good line for mean tasks. But it doesn't seem to be the greatest to me for daily lawn use. Too much slinging, too loud... and from what I can see of some fescue I have trimmed with it, it's not the kindest cutter either. It has really beat up the tips of the grass.

Overall, I will keep some wound on a spare spool. But now I wish I had gotten larger diameter due to the rough applications only use I'll have for it.

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have tried several different line and the one that i like the best is Redmax .095