1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Field Results From Modified Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Oct 9, 2007.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Okay, in another thread I asked what people thought of putting a smaller pulley under my tranny to increase my top speed. ( http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=202722 )

I went for it (and it only cost me $30 total, by the way) and changed out the pulley.

I went out today and did a few lawns and here are my results, for those of you who might care:

5,000sq.ft. /// avg. time = 0:13 /// previous best = 0:10
    time below avg. = n/a
    time below best = n/a

Comments: The cooler weather has allowed several sections to recover that I had been able to skip trimming lately. Also, this is multiple tiny pieces, so I was not really able to take advantage of the higher top speed.

10,000sq.ft. /// avg. time = 0:19 /// previous best = 0:18
    time below avg. = 0:03 (16%)
    time below best = 0:02 (11%)

10,500sq.ft. /// avg. time = 0:23 /// previous best = 0:19
    time below avg. = 0:09 (39%)
    time below best = 0:05 (26%)

10,000sq.ft. /// avg. time = 0:26 /// previous best = 0:24
    time below avg. = 0:05 (19%)
    time below best = 0:03 (12%)

Comments: And this was mowing the awkward short direction. It’s a long narrow back yard, and I was running the short perpendiculars.

7,000sq.ft. /// avg. time = 0:18 /// previous best = 0:15
    time below avg. = 0:04 (22%)
    time below best = 0:01 (7%

Comments: this new time also included some leaf blowing that was never required before. Worth at least 1-2 minutes off this time, if not more.

17,500sq.ft. /// avg. time = 0:51 /// previous best = 0:41
    time below avg. = 0:11 (22%)
    time below best = 0:01 (2%)

Comments: Commercial account. Taper sidewalk(s) edges every other week. Previous best was a week I didn’t, but today’s faster time I did. The numbers put the previous best, including the sidewalk trimming @ 0:45.

22,000sq.ft. /// avg. time = 0:33 /// previous best = 0:28
    time below avg. = 0:09 (27%)
    time below best = 0:04 (14%)

Comments: Commercial account. Always mulch. But today’s time included blowing leaves from small parking lot and then bagging that section. My guess is this accounts for at least 3-4 minutes of additional time over a normal servicing.

10,000sq.ft. /// avg. time = 0:22 /// previous best = 0:19
    time below avg. = 0:07 (32%)
    time below best = 0:04 (21%)
  2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Now add in all the time you spent compiling the data and entering it into your calculator. : )
  3. whoopassonthebluegrass

Hey, I was/am excited!! :) :) :)
    I sat down and spend a good 25 minutes doing that! I'm very numbers oriented and this helps me start to see the bottom line value of this modification. :)

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

Glad too see the field test. What size pulley did you end up with vs stock?
  5. whoopassonthebluegrass

Stock was 7.5". I replaced it with a 6". This, on paper, is a 25% speed gain. Top speed from 6.2mph to 7.75mph. (Though I think it's faster.)

It's crazy fast now. I used to be able to mow in my sleep. It zips around so quickly now that I have to be fully alert the entire time.
  6. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Did this just speed up they mower travel speed or did it also speed up the blade speed as well? Just wondering.
  7. whoopassonthebluegrass

Strictly mower speed. To increase blade speed would require:

1. increasing engine rpms, or
    2. decreasing spindle pulley size, or
    3. increasing engine pulley size

That being said, I noticed no deterioration of cut quality. Further, it actually picks up leaves better b/c I go over them so fast the deck doesn't have time to blow them away first.
  8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

whoop- congrats on the mod. I am glad it has worked out for you and more importantly , that you keep good records on your times. the folks that do that for all thier lawns, and keep track of how much they make per minute( with drive time) make the most bucks in theis biz.
  9. whoopassonthebluegrass

That's how I ween out the crap accounts. I track everything: bag vs. mulch, # of bags taken out, mowing pattern in front, mowing pattern in back, and any details, such as the dreaded "customer came out to talk", or "sprinklers on" or "dog crap everywhere".

At the end of the year I order my accounts by profitability (factoring in tough yards that are worse than average on my equipment - and the above mentioned snafus) and then make my price adjustments for the next season.