Field stone wall.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by just Cuts, Mar 5, 2006.

1. just Cuts

just Cuts LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I had an estimate yesterday for a mulch job and while I was there the customer wanted me to give him a price for a field stone wall about one foot high around beds in front yard.measured 145' of wall. I figure about 10 pallet of stone.My question is what percentage should I add to cost of stone for labor? 1,2.5...so on.Thanks for any help on this.

2. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

if you are talking about a PA wallstone type of wall, thats labor intensive. If you are doing it that way (labor and materials) I would go 2.5x the price of the stone and subtract out the cost of materials and thats your labor.

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

If he's not experienced with dry stack walls you could go 100.5 x materials and he still wouldn't make any money.

Chris

4. just Cuts

from NJ

I've done all types of walls over the years working for others.I haven't done any estimates before on this type of thing..Ive worked for others over ten years and I'm quit capable of doing the work.I don't want to charge to much or rip myself off.

5. just Cuts

from NJ

:waving: Cedarcroft thanks. That is exactly what I was thinking ,but wanted to make sure.

6. cgland

This is a poor way to quote a job. Too many underlying factors are involved. Even worse to give someone a number without knowing ANY of the job details such as access, soils, etc. or his business situation!

Chris

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

question cedarcroft.... do you price pavers by the sq ft? Like no matter what...10$ a sq ft (example)
    Do you price walls at a set per sq face ft price?

8. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I was just giving him a base to go by. I am sure there are better ways to price things and even some great mathematical formulas. But that is just an idea. I don't claim to be a super experienced pro, but that is the basic way I learned to start working up an estimate. without knowing his cost of materials that is a good way to get started. I know guys that build those type of walls for $18 a sq ft for builders and somehow manage to make money. I have yet to find a way to do it right for under $25 a sq ft. I pay about $185 a skid for PA wallstone. So depending on the conditions, height and length is how I would price it. No set pr sq ft price. But I can say it should be in the range of $25-$35 pr sq ft in most cases using that product. Using the mid range of that pricing his job would be about $4350. Using my costs for Pa Wallstone X 2.5 the price for the job would be $4625. Point is, if you are learning that is a decent base to look at for pricing. Is it foolproof? No. but I don't think he would get hurt doing it. Obviously he would have to see what his costs were and figure out if the money makes sense for his time, but now hes on his way.

9. just Cuts

from NJ

here is a wall I did a few years ago.

STNWAL2.jpg

STNWAL5.jpg

10. cgland

WELL! What did you charge for that????? Geeez

Chris