1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Field Test Report: Stihl FS 90 R Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by freshprince94, Aug 23, 2008.

1. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

The rain let up long enough today for me to get two accounts done, so I finally got a chance to use my new Stihl FS 90 R trimmer.

These are weekly accounts, St. Augustine grass mowed at 4 inches.

It was very light, the same weight or less than my old Echo SRM-210. Started up easily, 2-3 pulls cold, 1 pull warm.

I loved it. It has great power, just rips right through the weekly growth like it's nothing. The guard on this was better at shielding the grass than the Echo, my legs weren't covered in clippings like they usually are. At one account, there was a small area of overgrown weedy brush like plants that I neglected to cut down before, so I used the trimmer on those. It cut through them with no problem where with the Echo I would have to start at the top and work my way down. Not much vibration. Someone posted here about how some 2 cycle trimmers "grab" the turf and take a bite out of it when on full throttle, this one does not.

The bump head works like any other bump head, nothing special.

Overall, I think the FS 90 is a great trimmer. I don't understand why everyone hates the 4mix engines.
  2. Nuconcepts

Nuconcepts LawnSite Member

theres nothing really wrong with the 4mix motors if you take care of them by running the proper premix and leave the guard on the trimmers so you don't labor the engine. the fs90r doesn't feel as light as my srm-210 echo by any means unless you throw the speed feed head on it. its not the trimmer that takes the bite out of the turf either its the person trimming. nice review otherwise
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I have always been happy with my stihl equipment. Never will I switch to another brand.
  4. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

We have 3 90 R's and 2 90's, we love them and they have never given us an ounce of trouble, with daily use, in the last 2 years, cant say that for the 2 month old Echo SRM-280 currently at the dealer (boy was that a stupid impulse buy):nono:.
  5. freshprince94

Can we hear this story?
  6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Because they're crap. j/k. I'm gald you like it. now I want to try one.:laugh:
  7. freshprince94

You should try one. The FS 80 is not the best trimmer Stihl makes, don't let that spoil your opinion of Stihl.
  8. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

You're right. I do still have an appreciation for the 4 mix trimmers but the dealers I go to don't sell stihl and the ones that do I tend to stay away from. So I don't think it will work out.:cry:
  9. RLLServicesCT

RLLServicesCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have a stihl kombi (KM 110R) and its great! However it is heavier than most FS series :weightlifter: And a long day with this guy is tiring, but its power is excellent. Take the good with the bad I guess......:walking:
  10. freshprince94

After a few more months of using this trimmer, I feel it's time to update this thread.

Now that the engine is broken in, my trimmer is even more powerful than before. I actually used it for some minor brush cutting, it handled that no problem except for some bigger plants. If I had the saw blade, I think I could have cut through it.

The guard isn't as great as it seemed, better than the Echo guard though.

It is pretty good with starting. I have left this thing sitting on the trailer for a week, and it still starts up in 1-2 pulls no prime or choke. When it's hot, 1st pull.

The bump head is very average. It's not a joy to respool. But, my Echo's bump head was like that as well.

This trimmer is very light. Maybe a little heavier than the 210, but no noticeable difference in weight.

The thing I absolutely hate on this trimmer is the gas cap. It is a PITA to screw on. I have lost a full tank of gas because I couldn't secure it before. I am a lot better now, I just have to be very diligent in checking to make sure it's secured.

Overall, I am very satisfied with this trimmer and may be buying another one soon.