Field test report... Trimmer Line (over-due)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, here is my over-due field report....

I have been happy using an FS85 trimmer fitted with .95 Suffix Mega Twist line for a long time. But I had something happen which resulted in me having to get some other type of line.

The FS85 went down with a carb failure. In haste I picked up a backup trimmer. Burnt the line that came with it in no time. I mean in 1 day. I do serious amounts of trimming. So I put the Mega Twist in it. However, this trimmer did not turn enough RPM to use the line worth a dang. Mega Twist is very light, free spinning and limber. I couldn't do crap with it and this trimmer. It could hardly spin it fast enough to straighten it out. So I had to buy something else much stiffer. But what?

Well, I have been impressed with my Lesco/Cub Commercial ZTR. So my mind is open to anything they have out now. I ran across the Cub Commercial Xtreme line. It looked good and was stiff in .95 size, so I bought a small spool to try.

After running it a while, I decided I would do a good field test on it once I got the real trimmer going... and I did. I ran it the entire fall with good results. The trouble is, I've ran it so long now that I really can't write up as good a review as I should be able to. Too much time has passed, too many recordings misplaced, ect...

But here is what I do know.

It is a square Red and White impregnated line. The first thing I noticed after running the Mega Twist so long is WOW IS IT NOISY! The Mega Twist really is quiet line as advertised.

Overall, I have found the line to be very good, very long lasting, weld free and Xtremely break resistant despite it's stiffer characteristics. So if you like a stiff square line that is tough and does not break or weld, this is your line.

Honestly, I was trying to think, but it's been long enough now that I can't remember the last time I re-spooled a head with it. So I'm not sure how many exact hours I get out of a refill. But it's mean stuff... I edge with it and everything just like I did with the Sufix Mega Twist, which really burns up the "so-called" good lines in a hurry.

Heck, I'm thinking I might actually be getting more life out of the Xtreme line because it NEVER breaks off. I have not sighted a single piece of it on-site anywhere since I started running it. Although the Mega Twist does not break either really, I still do see a piece of it laying once in an while.

So all-in-all I feel it is nearly a tie with the Mega Twist. Not as light, quiet and low-drag free flying, but a very good line. I'd like to bushwhack with some of the .105 or bigger in one of the big beast trimmers like an FS350 or something. It would be a show...

So Envy gives this line a big thumbs up.... :cool:
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i know the line you are talking about. i bought it as rotary brand line. its easyily the best line i have ever used. i found it too extreme for delicate trimmingwork but peerless for tough commercial demands. it does last a very long time. best square line there is! . who cares how much noise line makes anyway? if they do they are a wimp and shouldnt be in this line of work! save that flimsy twisty line for homeowners.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Dummies like me that don't wear hearing protection notice the noise.... lol.
    It's not that it's that loud, but more so the Sufix is so quiet.

The wear between the two is close enough that I call it even.
    They twisty line is a superior design.
    But the Cub Commercial Xtreme line is just as tough.

Each line has it's place I guess... but both are excellent.
  4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

more good news about cub stuff LOL:)
    Cub built tough
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Hey, hadn't seen you around in a while...

Just heard that Cub diesel was going to be powered by a 28HP Cat... MeYow :p
  6. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

Envy are you not wearing earplugs so that later in life you won't be able to hear your wife gripe at you?
    I'd say then thats a good move! I should have thought of that when I was married!
    I had some custom made last year by an audiologist that fit inside your ear and are extremely comfortable. The cost was reasonable, they shut out 95% of mower noise and you can listen to a radio or an IPOD through them. A friend of mine who plays in a rock band told me about them.
  7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm happy with the Mega-Twist .095. But I can't find it anymore, do you know where I can order it from?
  8. Envy Lawn Service

No Ray I don't.

I wish I did though because it's not easy to get here either.
    Another guy and I were discussing the fact we saw some knock-off.
    Might be the same dang stuff though.
    It was blue and twisted anyways...

My only insight I can offer you for ordering it is to maybe hit a fishing store.
    Yup, I said fishing... Sufix is better known for fishing line.

I was wanting to try the Invisi-Trim line.
  9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

That stuff sounds similar to the stuff I have from Lowes, red and white square line. I got a spool of the .95 called extreme line by Arnold.

I have to say it works great and lasts a long time, never had it weld up on me, or fray.

I think next I'm gonna give the Stihl .95 square line a try, my friend has used it for years on his Shindawia and really likes the stuff.
  10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

thie is the exact same line but sold under another name. i like it better than the sthil square -it lasts even longer but the sthil line is no slouch