Field-to-Forum Review #3: TBC-340PF Grass Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tanaka, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Briefly introduce yourself and your company
    Coastal Greenscapes. Our company was founded in 1997 out of the need for a high quality landscape maintenance service. Our motto is “If there is time to do it over then there is time to do it right.” Since that time we grew to 3.7 million dollars in revenue. In December of 2004 we sold most of the business with the idea of semi-retiring. However after a few months the bug had bitten again and we are once again a full service landscape company.

Describe the test environments and the number of hours you used the product in each environment.
    The Tanaka was put into service on May 29th. Since that time it has become the most popular trimmer in our assortment. It is the first trimmer anyone grabs.

It has seen 5 plus hours of run time each day since then. We are in the coastal region and most of our accounts are within 5 miles of the Atlantic Ocean. The ocean air (salty air) is very harsh on equipment, normally cutting the life of the equipment in half. The Tanaka has not exhibited any of the normal corrosion that we see with our other trimmers. Additionally, the throttle seems to give you more control with trimming over sand and thus reduces the number of “holes” in your legs from sand pelting them.

Rate the following on a scale of 1-10, (10= Outstanding, 1=poorest):
    Weight - 10

Balance - 10

Power - 10

Fuel efficiency - 7

Ease of starting - 8 (2 pulls always)

Ease of use - 9

Noise level - 10

Accuracy of cut - 9 (much better with square .105 line)

Safety features - 5

Overall reliability - 9

Manual / instructions - Did not receive

First. It is an awesome trimmer. I have to say that given its performance I would switch from Stihl. There are 3 things that I would suggest changing.

1. The gas cap needs some sort of chain/plastic/string to hold it onto the unit so the cap doesn't get lost when filling it. Everyone else has them.

2. The start lock on the handle needs to be on the other side of the handle. When trimming you can accidentally bump it with your leg and the gas is locked on at 2/3rd open throttle. It is just way to easy to hit. If it was on the other side or bottom it would be safer.

3. The head could use a little more capacity.

Compare the unit against other brands you have used
    We use John Deere XT140’s and Stihl FS85’s. In my opinion as well as the other people who have used this trimmer we would switch over to Tanka’s exclusively should the two of three issues mentioned above be corrected. That being the Gas cap and the start lock location. The trimmer is hands down better then anything else we have used.

Moderator Notes:
    Excellent job Brian! Thanks for staying on me to get the trimmer sent out to you. Photos of the unit in use are on the way.

For Brian's time, he will receive a Tanaka "care package" plus he will be given the opportunity to purchase the unit at a discount.