1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Field work to management

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Turfdude, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Over the past few years, I have been fortunate enough to put a few key employees in charge of my maintenance crews as well as a superb lawn care manager to do my applications. This year, so far, I've only been doing physical work 2 days a week w/ the rest of the time spent running bids, crunching numbers, meeting w/ clients and picking up supplies. I always wanted to get to this point, but had to stay in the field to take care of the more detailed landscaping, mulching and pruning. This season, I have re-hired an employee from 2 seasons ago who is capable of doing a lot of the latter for me. Its a great weight off my shoulders as I can now spend more time w/ my wife and children, but I do miss the field work.

Has anyone else gone through withdrawl?? I am not saying I want to go back to mowing as I probably only mowed 10-12 days last year. Most of my time was spent w/ the more rewarding work. I know within 2 weeks, we'll be maxed out with mowing accounts and as it is, I'm booked thru mid May w/ mulching and landscaping now. I also know I'll have some more time to get my hands dirty, but spring is finally here and I miss not coming home as dirty. Am I crazy, or is this how it is for everyone??
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt know. Im solo and probably always will be.
  3. Brianj

Brianj LawnSite Member

bob im working towards that goal,but like you i do love working hard and coming tired at night from a hard days work
  4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I just dont think a beer would taste as good when you've been sitting at a desk all day :)
  5. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

That depends on the quality of the beer. :drinkup:
  6. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Yea you are crazy.... :) ....just kiddin. What ever floats your boat. Personally I will be thrilled when I no longer do any field work
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're doing the right thing there bob...hell, you ain't getting any younger LOL. But to answer your question, I'm not sure if I could pull myself out of the field completely. I need some kind of physical activity every day (medical reasons) for one. I do think you're on the right track though with delegating more and more.

Only 10 or 12 days of mowing last year? That must leave enough time for a lot of "honey do" days, huh!
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Rod, I gutted the room that was the office at the end of August and converted it back to a bedroom for my oldest daughter by the time she went to school. All new drywall, some new electric, phoine line, cable line, new window jambs and sills, new solid pine bi-fold closet doors and new 6-panel colonial pine entrance door. Fresh coat of paint of course. I did hire a carpet company to do that job.
    This winter, I gutted my downstairs hallway, installed new druwall, replaced the remaining 2 doors w/ 6 panel colonials and the closet got a new bi-fold too. New drywall and paint and the 2 entrances in & out of the hall got new jambs and trim. Then I had an upstair bath to touch-up spackle , repaint and border to install. The little lady keeps me busy - but I enbjoy it.

It is a little diffficult leting go, but I will probably limit my bids to 2 days a week (Tues & Thurs) since these are the 2 days my college guy comes in until schools out. I'd like to crank out at least another 80 yards of mulch w/ 1 crew as well as mow at least 125 and complete another 30 or so clean-ups we have left.

On a side note - have you started mowing yet & where's the pics of the new trailer & toys??
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I threw my back out Friday morning and am still not about to try anything physical. I have a feeling that when it comes to "moving up," I'll kinda resent being stuck with more paperwork, but it's just too much to ask to assume both ownership and labor risk. Nothing against solo operators of long standing, but some in that situation will come to regret it.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Mowing starts tomorrow bob and I am picking up one of the mowers tomorrow as well at 0800...pics to be taken tomorrow too. I really won't need the other mower until 4 of my guys return the first week on May out of school.

Man, you've been busy inside this winter huh?