1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

fieldhorsetail- how the heck do you keep it away?!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jsf343, May 14, 2007.

1. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

you saw the title, what if any pre-emergent will keep this crap away with out hurting ground cover? Ronstar maybe???

2. jsf343

wow, nobody has any advice on this stuff? the horsetail that is around lakes, rivers,etc. If I had a picture I would post it if that would help but I don't.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Do you mean Cattails?

4. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

I was thinking cattails as well Indy. If that is the case you are to close to a water source to spray or do anything for that matter. Somethings were not ment to be controled, I would call the local DEM and see what they suggest and if it is on any invasives lists. Don't get caught within that 50 (or greater depending on where you live) foot zone.

5. jsf343

no not cattails, horsetail. it says the non standard name is jointgrass if that helps. It almost looks like a little fir tree. it is common in areas with high water tables. Thanks for taking a stab at it though.

Jeff

6. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Casoron will subdue, but not eradicate, horsetail (equistum carieties).

7. jsf343

casoron? really?? it doesnot hurt groundcover? hmmmm.... I will try some.

thanks Kate!

8. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I sprayed some Horsetail with Spotlight a few years ago. Wiped it right out. However at the time it was an off-label use.

http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld6FF003.pdf

The current label still doesn't have Horsetail on it though a Dow rep advised me to try it & we did provide Dow with the efficacy data.

9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto the Casoron but timing is critical.

10. jsf343

when would you reccomend throwing it down? All we keep doing is pulling these things the best that we can, 2-3 weeks later they are up in a different location.