Fieldstone retaining wall pics

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by clandscaper, Nov 24, 2007.

1. clandscaper

clandscaper LawnSite Member

Here are some in progress pics of a fieldstone, dry-stacked retaining wall I have been working on. It is 70' long and the highest point is about 4.5' with the lowest around 2.5'. I am now starting two upper bow shaped walls that will help terrace the hill. One wall will be between the two big trees with an identical bow shaped wall to the left of the trees. Next spring we will be planting the bank to soften the stone. I also put in the black fence that you can see on the top of the hill.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Fieldstone retaining wall

2. msanb10

msanb10 LawnSite Member

The wall looks great. Nice mix of stone sizes. Two questions: How long has that taken and do you charge by the square foot? Curious to compare prices I have been charging $45/ sq. ft for labor and materials.

Thanks

3. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

That wall is awesome. I hope that they stay put given that they don't seem to have much batter. What kind of production rate were you getting.

Looks great

4. clandscaper

clandscaper LawnSite Member

I have been working on the wall by myself for about 4 weeks. That includes thye demo of the old wall, excavate the site, construction of the new wall, and backfill with clean stone and a top layer of soil. My price came in close to yours, But i dont charge by the sq., I have my own way of estimating taking into account site access, estimated hours, overhead, etc....

Edgewater, I am not worried about it staying put because I used so many large stones to tie the wall together, and I backed up the wall with a good foot of huge fieldstones and concrete pieces left over from another job to stabilize the wall behind it and to hold back most of the weight, so in actuality the fieldstone wall itself is not holding back all the weight of the hill. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

5. msanb10

msanb10 LawnSite Member

I know what you mean about estimating. I use sq. ft price as more of a guide then figure the time, materials etc. I just want to see how I compare in pricing.

Thanks

6. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

very nice ...work like this will keep you in bus. for years to come

7. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

For some reason it seems many people are looking at natural stone again we do mostly manufactured walls and pavers but the last couple jobs it's been this. I like it tough but you really need skill and patience to do this, actually I'm real bad doing this but my guys are just good.
    Here is some pictures of one we finished last month and one we are working on.
    Both walls have drainage behind and batter of 1/2" per foot and 1" on the larger one and both were build from existing stones on property

natural-stone.jpg

stonewall3.jpg

naturallwall.jpg

stonewall2.jpg

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

wall looks beautiful

9. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW thats a beautiful wall! I really like the natural stuff, wish I had the skill to build that. Once its all cleaned up and landscaped its going to look really sharp.

10. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

that looks so good!its great to see some actual stone walls !must be nice to work with that flat stone .were in the middle of a giant double face wall ,pm if you ever need any help ,again awesome work.:laugh::laugh::laugh: