1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

fiesty old lady made my day by verbally abusing me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncarepros2004, Aug 5, 2004.

1. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

I am currently under contract at a 9 home duplex culdesac development for weekly maintenance. I only mow the front yards of these homes. Some have zeroscape in the back or a small 100 to 200sqft lawn. Anyway one of the homeowners comes out while i am fertilizing the front yard the other day and wants me to mow her back lawn and just bill her. I had mowed the yard in back before she moved in for the builder so i knew all about it. Her lawn is maybe 200sqft (4 passes with 21"). This women is probably 90 years old. I tell her sure, that'll be 15 a week. At this she says "$15 for three (bad, bad word) passes" . I cracked a smile and told her i had to make a living. She says " i had to make a living once too, but i never stole form anybody" . i then told her to enjoy mowing it herself.....and she said she would. This old timer made my day. If only i were single......i could use a gal with spunk like that. I had been forwarned about the women hitting the bars in the early morning and coming home by noon loaded. tear into boys...................tell me i am highball scum and that i should do it for $7 or less. Anyway she made my day and makes me smile everytime i see her.
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

What a potty mouthed old lady... Or did you dramatize her respose for the Lawnsite audience??LOL
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

She would have really freaked out on me then, because I have a $25.00 minimum. Over $5.00 per pass. LOL
  4. lawncarepros2004

would not have told the story if she didn't say that. wouldn't be funny would it. she'd be just another cheapskate not worth mentionioning. and yes she goes out drinking every morning. these people are out there. true story
  5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Crap I have a thirty dollar minimum and thats considered low on this site

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Them old ladies sure are feisty. The ONLY time I ever cursed at a customer, it was this 80-some year old widow. Never, ever happy with any aspect of our work. Honestly, I don't even remember what the situation was, but she came out and let loose with one profanity after another, so I told her she was F-ing crazy and loaded up the truck and left in the middle of mowing her lawn. Then she called my boss and let loose on him. Then he told her she was F-ing crazy and cancelled her dumb arse.
  7. lawncarepros2004

yep i have the min fee as well but i already do the front yards already so with front and back it would have met my minimum
  8. fubunics

fubunics LawnSite Member

Most sane people would have said the same thing to you that she did when you gave her that price for '2' minutes of your time. You're already there mowing!?!
  9. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

$15. is cheap. I have a $30.00 min just to show up and drop the gate.
  10. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

2 minutes of work cost me $15. 00 one day. I had to ask a guy to weld a part together for me........less than 2 minutes actually...........his minimum was $15.00 and I had to pay it. He didn't sweat a drop or use any energy for that money.

But I guess welders should be higher paid........they have invested in equipment and have the skills to do the job right........make it look good.........and they take pride in their work.