Fifth gear pulling a trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mad_wrestler, Jun 4, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1995 Dodge 1500 SLT with a V8. People have told me not to pull anything in fifth gear. Is this right? Fourth gear sucks on the highway!!!

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

should not matter much with a standard trans.

is it really hard to maintain speed when in 5th??? if not then no problems.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

My dad has, for the last 19 years, told me to never pull anything in overdrive.

I've always towed in overdrive.

I did drop a rear end in a 94' Dodge 1/2 ton in '96, but that was back in the day that I'd try spinning the tires while pulling the mowing trailer.

Ahhh... to be young and dumb again... payup

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Dido YardPro. But with an auto. trans. never use the overdrive if at all possible.

5. mad_wrestler

Fantastic. I just put in a new rear end so I should be covered! Thanks for setting me straight.

6. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Even on the interstate running sea level like here in FL? I've always towed in OD?

7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I just dropped my rear end friday. I tow in OD all the time with standard trans. Not sure if this is a direct result of my problems.

8. mad_wrestler

I was wondering the same thing. There was 96,000 miles on it though and the people before me hauled horses. So who knows. I guess we'll see. I just hope if it does drop another rear end it is before the 1 year warranty expires...like that ever happens right lol :)

9. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Actually now that I think of it, the wear and tear on the rear end doesn't have anything to do with what gear you are driving in, right?