1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Fig tree winter care?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by fga, Sep 19, 2006.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have to go look at a job, prepping some fig trees for winter. i am not too familiar, other then the care i've seen my grandparents do over the years, however, i don't believe they do it "textbook".

I know you can't allow the roots to freeze, so an abundance of mulch is required around the plant/base. what type of mulch is preferred?
    also, i was told they should no longer be watered, going into the winter, to helpprevent root freeze.

any advice or suggestions on this, like wrapping, materials for wrapping?

i don't know the size of the trees yet, job is in Brooklyn and i have to go look at it (traffic:hammerhead: )
  2. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Good layer of mulch will be sufficient and you can wrap with burlap, going around the entire head. Definately an Italian thing....
  3. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

especially if you put an upside down bucket on top:laugh:

any type of regular cedar mulch? i was told to mix it with soil?
    also, how tight do you wrap it? am i pulling th branches in alot?
  4. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

I have had some customers here take some 2x4 wire fence and make a cage
    around it and fill it w/ leaves !!!
  5. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

I would go for a dark root mulch with a lot of organic matter in it, not necessarily Cedar. Just wrap the burlap around the crown, no need to bend in the branches. It looks silly as can be, but does help against winter damage. Works for Crape Myrtles grown in the North, too.

I've seen the cage thing, too.