1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

figureing how many tons you need of stone

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by topdog, Jan 31, 2007.

1. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

what is a good formula to figure how many tons of stone you will need for an area? i usually go to the rock yard, and give them the stats. just curious as to how to figure it.
  2. kkls2006

kkls2006 LawnSite Member

Length x Width x Depth =

Divide By 324 =

Divide By 1.5

Should get you close.
  3. topdog

topdog LawnSite Member
    from indiana

thank ya sir. never seen a formula to convert it to tons.
  4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought it was divide by 27
    Multiply 1.35
    = Tonnage
  5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Ask the stone yard how much a yard of their stone ways. Different stone has different weight and bigger sized stone has more void space in a yard.

Mike's formula is for stone that weighs 1.35 per yard. I think that kkls made some kind of typo in his formula.
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

You cant figure out how much stone 1 ton will cover (to many variables, each rock weighs different, etc), you need to ask them how much one yard weighs, you need to go by yards. But still, I just go by yard. Only time I go by ton is when buying Flagstone or anything like that.

Yard = Volume.
    Tons = Weight.

Comon guys.
  7. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

We Convert Yards To Tons All The Time With No Problems.width X Length X Thickness Devided By 27 X 2. Thats How I Figure It For Stoning Streets And Parking Lots
  8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just going by what i use for 57's on walls and etc.
  9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I always just tell the quarry the amount in yards and make them do the conversion.

Come to think of it, i swear that i used a full tandem or tri axle of road base or 3/4 clear on every single job.

10. patpls

patpls LawnSite Member
    from Mn

Hey a friend sent me this free software. give it a try and let's hear your responses, is it accurate?"Landscape calc."